Monday, August 22, 2011

Things to see and do in London - Part 1

I'm trying to make some progress on the trip planning front. 

First task: make a list of all the things that we want to see and do in London.

Accommodation in London is frightfully expensive and our current trip itinerary has us staying there for 5 nights before we travel on to Paris. I've been encouraged to decide if we really need to stay that long!

Here is Part 1 of my list of places to see and things to do in London. They are in no particular order; but I have provided a link to a website for each one so that anyone interested can follow the link to find out more.










There are still many more touristy places of interest so I'll be needing a Part 2 for my list. And I think it's pretty obvious that I'll be able to fill in five days of sightseeing in London no problem at all.

Have you been to any of these places? I'd love your feedback on whether or not they lived up to the hype. 

Do you have any suggestions for Part 2 of my list? (Bearing in mind that I already have plenty of ideas!)

I wonder how we'll turn a huge wish list into a manageable itinerary?

And if our whole holiday is this action-packed, I wonder how tired we'll be when we get back!

4 comments:

Christine Smith said...

Go to all of them! You need at least half a day for greenwich! We stayed almost a week in London. Still didn't see all! Westminster Abbey is beautiful but St Pauls is better. Tower of London is at least 4 hours! Don't buy a London Pass. Waste of money. You can buy a package for London Eye, Madam Tussards( a must!) plus a few other touristy places. Make sure when you book hotel that all of you can fit in. I booked one room which turned out to be a double bed and a fold out bed. We lasted one night because it was so squeazy. We upgraded to a suite. Paid more money but the kids had their own room, TV and space! Worth every cent! Make sure you use www.tripadviser.com to check places out.

Cathy said...

I agree with Christine. We stayed in an apartment in Chelsea. It was fabulous, and we had 3 kids who all had their own bed.
We went to changing of the guard. We waited for over an hour to see it. Although we had great spots at the front it was very hot and really it wasn't worth the wait as the kids got really bored after about the firs march past.
There is so much to see in London you still won't see it all. We didn't fit in the London eye because it took so long. Some friends of ours climbed up to the top of St. Pauls and said that the view was better.
It is so much fun planning the trip, I actually think it is almost as fun as the trip itself.

Dillypoo said...

Um, Platform 9 3/4????

Brandy@YDK said...

my bloggy friend just got back from an awesome european adventure - check out her blog her e- http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/JustBreathe/~3/GvBV7AHTphs/vacation-london-part-fourteen.html