Friday, July 24, 2009

The End of Recreational Reading as I Know It



...or...Will Club Dead by Charlaine Harris be the last book I read for fun until November???

That's right folks, the party's over. Semester 2 begins on Monday, and I have some serious reading to do. So far I have read 3 out of the 9 titles in the Sookie Stackhouse Reading Challenge. Will I progress any further between now and October 26th, when my last assignment for the semester is due? Only time will tell...

In the meantime, let's talk about Sookie's latest adventures in Club Dead.

Sookie Stackhouse, pretty barmaid, telepath, and girlfriend of vampire Bill, is on a mission. She must visit 'Club Dead', a hangout for vamps, weres and other supernatural creatures, to search for clues as to the mysterious disappearance of Bill. Then, she must rescue Bill from the clutches of an evil vampire ex-girlfriend. All the while dodging biker werewolves, a jealous shape-shifter named Debbie, and two gorgeous men (one vampire, one werewolf) that want to get into her pants. No wonder she's tired...

And I got a bit tired too. A bit tired of Sookie being only inches from death, or dismemberment, or an unwise sexual adventure (!), every few pages. A bit tired of Sookie never spending any time at home, or work, or with humans!

Don't get me wrong, I'm still a fan. I'm still very keen to keep reading my way through the series. I'm still a fan of the supernatural. I'm just ready for an episode that has a bit more balance, and a bit less heart-thumping action. And I don't like it when Sookie's all beat-up and in pain.

I'm interested to hear what others think...

5 comments:

Alex the Girl said...

At the risk of being tarred and feathered, I have to agree with you! And as the series progresses, you'll get tired of Sookie's nice deep tan because tanning is the one evil she indulges in even though it might give skin cancer later in life...her shining blonde hair that shines and is always being pulled into a pony tail with three wraps...her ongoing description of her barmaid outfit "a white t with merlotte's printed on the left upper breast area, black shorts, and black nike's. !!!

Great honest review. Loved reading it, esp. how you tied it all up together and let it out for what it is! Club Dead is one of my favorite out of the 8 already published, though!

Cass said...

I was ready to call it quites after Club Dead--especially after that awful rape scene. I keep hearing that the fourth book is the best in the series, so hopefully that will make up for some of the awful I felt reading this one.

Good luck with your classes!

Ashley @ Ashley's Library said...

I really love Club Dead but I definitely see your point. Sookie is always in some sort of peril and is never just relaxing at home or just working anymore. I think that Club Dead is essential in showing the vampire hierarchy though and how the relationship between maker and makee(?) can be.

I'm very interested to see how Club Dead is translated to the TV show!

Fiona said...

Thanks for stopping by and I'm glad you're all not going to disown me for my (somewhat) negative review!

Hey Cass - is that you sis-in-law?

Fiona :)

vvb32 reads said...

i'm with you. just finished club dead too. i wanted more action with sookie and bill, but i guess this books wants to point out that being part of the paranormal world is serious business. can cause bodily harm if entered. wonder how sookie does in the next book. since there are more books in the series my guess is that she gets stronger. and maybe gets some fighting skills. fyi: i'm keeping spoiler free and haven't read anything about the other books - so i'm speculating.