Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Using Information Skills Scaffolds

Term 3 has begun, the kids are back at school, and semester 2 has begun at uni. Armed with a skinny vanilla latte from my local coffee shop, I'm settling in to do a couple of hours of solid uni-related work.
Chapter 6 of Herring's the internet and information skills concerns itself with the practicalities of using information skills models, such as his PLUS model in the classroom. He recommends the use of checklists, concepts maps and other scaffolds to focus students' attention on working systematically to meet learning goals.
Gladstone Secondary School, Canada, provides students with a checklist for research projects.
Kinnick High School, Japan, gives students search strategy advice.
Redwood High School, California, USA, has student research guidelines.
Scaffolds can be produced for all aspects of the information process; planning, developing a serach focus or strategy, reviewing resources, skimming/scanning and notetaking, writing an assignment, and self-evaluation.
As always, any and all comments are appreciated.

2 comments:

L Steinfurth said...

HI Fiona, I like to use the concept of scaffolding/spiralling when speaking to parents about how students learn....especially those who are just below the 'average' of the class. You can see that they will get a sudden burst of understanding at some point, and just need to provide the support so that they can.
In terms of models, I strongly support the idea as it gives a clear indication of what is required and the students have the ability to do the best they can with a little more confidence than if they had been left on their own.
Have readings etc ready. Headcold preventing clarity this week! (Lucky I started during the holidays!)

Fiona said...

Hi Louise, thanks for your comments.

I feel like I'm getting off to a bit of a slow start with the readings, but I have a plan so I hope to stick with it and just keep my head down!

Fiona :)