Thursday, March 5, 2009










I have had quite an insight today. I have been feeling a bit out of sorts - worried, anxious, depressed. Not good for me. I can recognise the signs...not wanting to do things that normally give me pleasure, being overly self-critical, feeling overwhelmed. I was starting to feel that "getting my uni work done" was taking over my life. I was starting to worry that I wasn't doing a good job as a wife and mother, and that I was neglecting important areas of my life. But how to get back the balance?

I decided to take control of my day today, and do some things that I know make me feel good. I went for a coffee at a local coffee shop, taking my uni readings to look over as I sipped my Vanilla Latte. Just a simple pleasure, but it really helped me.

Then I drove on to the local Japanese Gardens to sit and continue my readings. The beautiful weather and surroundings felt very healing to me.

But what was surprising was the insight I gained from what I was actually reading. As luck would have it, I was reading about "Personal Management" in an extract from Stephen Covey's The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People. He begins with the need to form one's own "personal mission statement" and the importance of knowing just what are your foundational principles.
He then goes on to explain that the best way to plan your diary is to:
1. List the different roles you will play during the week.
2. Set one or two goals for each role that are achievable this week.
3. Set aside time to do things that will contribute to reaching these goals.
It makes sense to me, and makes me realise a few things about myself:
1. I was doing the "urgent" rather than the "important".
2. I didn't have a big picture approach to what I was actually trying to achieve.
3. I hadn't thought through my goals with reference to my personal "mission".
4. That's why I was feeling unhappy, unfulfilled and unsettled.
So now I've got a place to start from in rethinking the way I plan and prioritise.




No comments: