Thursday, March 19, 2009

Up, up and away.

I'm starting to feel like I can do this. All the reading I'm doing, all the thinking, all the internet surfing etc is starting to crystallise in my mind. I do have great ideas for teaching and learning that use many different resources. I'm open to innovation and enthusiastic about collaboration. I like to learn and try new things and enjoy finding out about new ideas in the world of education. I actually buy into the hype about new ways of doing things!
Now maybe I'm a little too idealistic! But in the world of academia, a little idealism can take you a long way. I think I can get more excited about my essay writing than the average cynic.
I have been reading a bit about critical thinking and other higher order thinking skills, and, I've got to be honest, I think I'm pretty good at them! A lot of the processes come naturally to me; I don't even have to think about them. It's normal for me to take what I learn and make connections with other things I already know. I ask a lot of penetrating questions - I'm a great "devil's advocate". I'm good at organising information and restating it for others. I can cut through the bull and get to the essentials.
I just thought I was clever! Now I know I have good higher order thinking skills the question is: how did I learn them? how can I model them? and how can I teach them?

No comments: