Thursday, April 9, 2009

I'm still struggling to get my thoughts organised on my ETL401 assignment. At the moment I'm reading through Topic 5, and most of what I'm reading is applicable to the assignment. So I'm trying to add these new thoughts to what I already have from topics 2, 3 and 4. It's getting out of control!
I'm having no trouble at all seeing the connections between all the different things I'm learning about. Creating an information literate school community is like growing an entire organism - there are many organs and systems that must work together. Just like a body cannot function without an essential organ (e.g. skin), or system (e.g. circulatory system), there are many aspects that are essential to an ILSC. The trouble I'm having is in concisely expressing what these different aspects are and putting together a logical argument.
So what is wrong with my information process? Am I lacking some higher order thinking skills? (I don't think so, but I might be having trouble using them effectively.) Am I lacking sufficient focus in my topic definition? Yes, I think this might be closer to the truth. I am reading so much that I feel is interesting and relevant, I'm loath to let go of any of it. I can see its merits, and how it fits together with everything else, so I am determined to make it all fit instead of limiting my discussion.
There's a lot to be said for journaling. It helps to think things through "aloud". I use the technique in my personal life too, writing things in a little book beside my bed that I would never publish here! Things somehow seem much clearer when they're put in black and white in front of you. Faulty logic is exposed, and silly fears disappear. I think I'm ready to jump back into it now.

No comments: